PhD Degrees in Public Administration
Public administration encompasses the personnel of a particular government body of scale (local, county, state or federal), as well as how those personnel manage the government’s business in relation to the best interests of the people they serve.
What is this degree/program of study about?
Under the heading of a PhD in Public Policy and Administration, one of many available concentrations for such a degree would be public management and leadership – a field of study that aims at providing students with the qualitative, quantitative, and critical thinking skills necessary to properly manage in a government setting.
What does it take to earn this degree, and what will it result in for graduates?
Students seeking admission into a PhD in public administration program will, under most circumstances, be expected to have already obtained a master’s degree. The caveat to this, however, occurs in such programs that offer the PhD and master’s coursework concurrently. Once admitted, students will enjoy such course offerings as the language of leadership, strategic context of public management and leadership, and leadership and organizational change. Students will also be required to complete a dissertation prior to officially graduating and obtaining the PhD degree. While the number of careers available for public administration professionals is significant, the median annual salary for positions such as public works directors or economic development directors at the state and local level is above $70,000 (BLS.gov); at the federal level, the average earnings for full-time employees is greater than $74,000 annually (BLS.gov).
Public Administration PhD Degree Programs
- DPA from Capella University
- DBA in Public Administration from Northcentral University
- PhD in Business Administration – Public Administration from Northcentral University
- PhD in Public Policy and Administration from Walden University
- PhD in Public Policy and Administration – Interdisciplinary Policy Studies from Walden University
- PhD in Public Policy and Administration – Policy Analysis from Walden University
- PhD in Public Policy and Administration – Public Management and Leadership from Walden University